How to Insert a Line in Word is one of the most frequent question asked by Word users. Inserting a file between a word file is a common phenomenon. Adding borders and lines in Word is easier and just take a few seconds. To segregate any line or text you can simply add horizontal lines to the file.
Not only it lends a neat look to the document but even makes it easier for the user to read and identify various segments in the text. How to draw a line in word is not as difficult as it seems to.
There are actually three or four different methods using which you can insert lines in Word. It all depends on your preference and the method which most appropriately matches your convenience.
Let’s take a detailed look at the methods on how to add lines in word:
Inserting Lines with Shapes tool
It is a tool in Word that contains almost all geometrical shapes, be it rectangles, back arrows, lines, stars & banners, etc. Basically, any shape that is imaginable can be created via Shapes tool. Take a look at how to add a line in word:
- Open the MS office word file in which you want to insert the line.
- Navigate to the Insert tab. Click on the option Shapes and select line shape.
- A plus sign will appear on your word document. Drag the mouse along this sign to get the required length of the line on the Word document.
- Click the line to open the “Drawing Tools” tab. As soon as it opens, see at the top to see the “Shape Styles” section of the ribbon. From here you can easily give colors to the line, change its thickness and shadow.
Now, in case you want to draw another line you can simply copy and paste the same line. Just press Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to paste.
How to Insert a Line in Word via Paragraph Tool
Word includes a built-in horizontal line feature to easily add lines. It quickly inserts a horizontal line in the document. Take a look at how to insert horizontal line in word:
- Keep the cursor where you want to insert it. Now, open the Home tab and in the Paragraph group you will see a small square box and along with it a drop-down button. Click it.
- Select the option Horizontal Line and a line will be inserted in the Word document.
- Once a horizontal line is created, double- click on the line to select it. Format Horizontal Line dialog box will appear, where further adjustments related to height and width can be made and even color to the line can be added.
- Infact not only a Horizontal line, you can even add inside and outside horizontal and vertical borders via the same option.
Note- To remove or delete the horizontal line, just click it once and it will be selected. Now, simply press either the Delete or Backspace key.
Inserting Lines via Auto-Format
The best and the most convenient method to insert lines in Word file is by using the Auto Format function. These are basically small tricks using which you can easily insert lines in your Word document. However, this trick works only on MS Word and MS Outlook.
When you type at least three dashes, underscores, or equal signs in a paragraph and press “Enter”, automatically a single, double horizontal line or a dotted line is formed, i.e. just by typing these characters and pressing Enter, the desired line will be formed.
Take a look at various such characters used to insert line in word:
- First of all, place the cursor where you want to add a line. Now, here enter any of the characters accordingly, and Press Enter. The line inserted will cover the full width of the page.
- Type three hyphens together (—) to form a single Horizontal line.
- Type three equal signs (===) to form a double horizontal line.
- Type three asterisks (***) to form a dotted line. (…..)
- Type three underlines (___) together, to form a broader and darker horizontal line.
- Type three tildes together (~~~) to form a tilted design line.
- Type three pound or number signs (###) together, to form a bunch of broad and sleek horizontal lines.
Note- In case you add this line to column, the line will cover the full width of the column.
Adding Lines between Columns
It is obvious that while writing any document, you display text in columns, instead of standard paragraphs. In case you want to add or draw vertical lines between columns, you can easily do it Word. Some people may prefer doing it via Shapes tool, but there is a much easier way to do this.
Take a look at how to make a line in word columns:
- Place your mouse cursor on the text that you want to be displayed in columns.
- Choose Page Layout ribbon tab and select Columns. At the bottom of the list, choose More Columns.
- In the Columns dialog box, you can see an option called Line between. Tick mark the checkbox next to it.
- You can even adjust the column width and spacing between these columns via this box. You can specify the number of columns you want to use from the number of columns list.
- In the Apply To box, click the drop-down arrow and select This Point Forward. By doing so, the column will be inserted only where you have placed the cursor, and not in the entire document. Click OK.
Your text will be now displayed in columns with a line between each one. Adding a vertical line between columns in Word is easier and can be done by the above-stated method, easily.
Considering spacing via lines is usual while designing or formatting a document. It adds appeal to your document and makes it easier for your audience to read. Moreover, adding lines is really useful if you preparing a questionnaire, i.e. to be filled by the audience.
So, go ahead with the methods stated on How to Insert a Line in Word and pick any one method that appeals to you to add lines to the Word document easily.